Coxarthrosis of the hip joint is a chronic pathological process in which the integral structure of the tissues of the joint changes due to disrupted metabolic processes. What happens in the body with coxarthrosis? In coxarthrosis of the hip joint type, the processes of dystrophy and degeneration are characteristic, affecting people of middle and older age groups.
With arthrosis of the sacrococcygeal type of articulation, a long course is characteristic, it is difficult to immediately diagnose coxarthrosis changes. What is coxarthrosis? Pathological processes, also based on the name of the pathology (coxarthrosis), initially affect the cartilage, and with the progression of this disease of the hip joints, destructive changes capture the bone-joint structures.
Arthrosis of the hip disrupts the functioning of the joints, compared to other pathological processes, deforming arthrosis of the hip joint (so-called coxarthrosis) is observed more often, which usually manifests itself after the age of 40. Hip joint diseases in women are less common than hip joint diseases in men.
About the reasons
With coxarthrosis, the causes are of different origins, more often they are manifested:
- Impaired blood flow in the area of the affected joint tissue. Due to various causes, the vascular system malfunctions, outflow through the venous vessels deteriorates, and blood does not flow well to the arterial vascular tissues. All these changes that occur with this disease lead to the accumulation of organic compounds characteristic of metabolism. Such enzymatic compounds have a destructive effect on cartilage tissue.
- traumatization. The most common causes of coxarthrosis of the hip joint type are long-term minor and inconspicuous injuries that thin and damage cartilage tissue and form post-traumatic coxarthrosis.
- Dysplastic coxarthrosis of the hip joint can result from excessive overloading of the joints. Degenerative processes develop, the joint tissues are deformed as a result of hard physical work.
- The disease can manifest itself due to the patient's excess weight. The joints are overloaded, which leads to inflammation and the threat of deformation in the future.
- With complicated heredity, deforming arthrosis of the hip joint also manifests itself. The disease itself does not go through the lineage, specific properties and composition of cartilage and bone structures can be passed on. Many circumstances in coxarthrosis of the hip joint, together with this cause, have a greater influence than other factors.
- Endocrine dysfunctions. The frequently changing concentration of hormonal compounds affects the metabolic processes, which leads to inflammatory changes in the joints, deforming coxarthrosis develops.
- A person does not show physical activity, is lazy, therefore DOA of the hip joint develops, sacral osteochondrosis.
- Other pathological processes (necrotic changes in the head of the femur, severe infectious pathologies). If unprofessional medical measures were carried out, then many pathologies lead to the fact that the patient also develops deforming arthrosis of the hip joint in the form of a complicated condition.
- Inherited pathological changes (dysplasia, congenital dislocation of the hip) contribute to the manifestation of DOA of the hip joint.
That is why this pathological process occurs.
The symptoms of coxarthrosis of the hip joint type are characterized by a slight difference at different stages of the formation of the pathological process. However, there are signs of arthrosis of the hip joint that determine the initial stage of coxarthrosis.
If they are detected in time, then the treatment of coxarthrosis will be more successful.
But often patients with an affected hip joint and symptoms of the disease come to the doctor only at later stages of the development of signs of coxarthrosis, which greatly reduces the chance of successful treatment of coxarthrosis.
General symptoms include the following manifestations:
- Severe pain is the main symptom of hip disease. At the initial stage, pain manifests itself during human motor activity. With the progression of the destruction of the hip joint, pain symptoms appear constantly, and the person also experiences aching pain in the sacrum.
- With arthrosis of the hip joint type, other symptoms are expressed in the fact that the patient is limited in his movements, he is limited. In the initial stages of coxarthrosis, these symptoms can be observed after the patient wakes up or after heavy physical work.
- Changes in length of the lower limbs. If these symptoms are present, the hip joint has been affected for a long time, this is accompanied by deformation changes affecting the pelvic area.
- Atrophic changes are severe manifestations characteristic of this pathology. The initial stage is characterized by slight muscle weakness.
- The patient is lame, he walks differently, which indicates deformation changes in bone structures.
- There is a strong crunch in the joint tissues, which indicates pathological changes.
About the degrees of pathology
Coxarthrosis has 4 degrees of development:
- The initial stage is characterized by a mild course of the pathological process. For a long time, the patient does not suspect that he has coxarthrosis changes. Therefore, if coxarthrosis is not treated in a timely manner, the pathology will progress. At this stage, after a long physical overload, the pathology can periodically ache and whine in the damaged joint tissue. The process can be one-way or two-way. The patient may limp, the muscles are hypertonic, they withstand conditions of deformation. Pain disappears the moment a person stops overexerting himself physically, pain occurs periodically. Osteochondrosis of the sacral department can sometimes worsen. X-ray will show that the joint space is slightly narrowed.
- At the next stage of the progression of the pathology, the gradually collapsing joint tissues undergo significant destructive changes. The symptoms intensify, the pain radiates to the hip area, can be under the pubic symphysis in the knee. Osteochondrosis can also worsen in a patient with hip joint problems. Pain occurs not only after physical labor, but is also observed in a calm state. If no therapeutic measures are taken, the patient will show a limping gait, the spine will be overloaded. Osteochondrosis symptoms are pain, stiffness of the spine in the morning. The extensor and abductor myofibers weaken. Sacral osteochondrosis progresses.
- In the third degree of the pathological process, the cartilage tissue is almost completely destroyed. The x-ray shows the gap in the joint in the form of a thread. The joint is severely deformed. Sacral osteochondrosis is always aggravated. The patient cannot do without painkillers. Without emphasis on the cane, the patient cannot move. Edematous and atrophic changes occur in the damaged joint tissue.
- At the last stage of the pathology, it is impossible to cure coxarthrosis without surgical methods. The bone structures of the articular tissues of the hip area are completely fused, the pain is constant, severe edematous changes are observed, osteochondrosis of the sacral region is also aggravated.
In order for the treatment of osteochondrosis of the hip joint type to be correct, you should consult a doctor who treats coxarthrosis of the hip joint. He will make an appointment to carry out diagnostic measures. The diagnosis of coxarthrosis is:
- When collecting anamnesis data, the medical history is filled out by the doctor, he takes into account all the symptoms. It also turns out the presence or absence of burdened heredity and traumatic effects. The doctor examines the problem area and performs a series of functional tests.
- A general and biochemical blood test is performed. When the rate at which erythrocytes settle is increased by more than 29-31 mm/h, inflammation is present. Blood biochemistry reveals marker indicators of the inflammatory process (C-reactive protein type, globulin, immunoglobulin compounds, seroglycoids). This study will help distinguish this pathology from other pathological processes.
- X-ray examination is used, which shows osteophyte overgrowth, narrowing of the joint space, ossification of the cartilage, and compaction of bony structures beneath the cartilage. But soft tissue structures cannot be seen with X-rays.
- Computer and magnetic tomography examinations are used. These methods allow you to see how much the articular structures of a particular area and nearby tissues are affected, and also find out the causes that provoked the pathological process.
About the treatment
How to treat coxarthrosis of the hip joint, which doctor treats coxarthrosis, how to treat? Medication or surgical methods are used in the treatment of deforming arthrosis of the hip joint type. If the patient has arthrosis of the sacroiliac joints, the treatment is lengthy, consists of several stages, the symptoms and treatment are interdependent.
Effective treatment of osteoarthritis of the hip joint is in the shortest possible time for therapeutic measures from the moment this diagnosis was made. In the case of advanced coxarthrosis, treatment should be carried out by an orthopedic specialist.
But if the patient suspects that the hip joint has arthrosis, because he has walked 8-9 km and felt pain in the groin zone, then in this case it is necessary to contact a specialist who treats rheumatic changes. Here you can find out which doctor treats arthrosis of the hip joint and who treats these pathological processes.
With coxarthrosis of the hip joint type, drug treatment is aimed at:
- elimination of pain.
- restoration of tissue trophism.
- Activation of regeneration processes.
- Improved blood circulation.
- Reducing pressure on damaged areas.
- An enlargement of the joint space.
How to treat hip joint types, how to relieve pain? Treatment of arthrosis of the hip joint is carried out with drugs:
- Nonsteroidal drugs that relieve the inflammatory process. Apply injections, tablets. They relieve pain.
- Chondroprotective Agents. They use injections. These drugs provide nutrients to the affected tissue structures, they stop destructive processes, the joint functions normally.
- muscle relaxants. These funds relieve muscle spasms and improve microcirculatory processes.
- Healing ointments, creams, lotions. With external use of this group of drugs, the painful area is stimulated, microcirculatory processes improve, spasm stops.
- Steroid injections are used to treat the hip joint. These injections relieve an aggravated condition and eliminate severe pain.
- Vasodilator drugs are used. These drugs expand vascular tissues, relax their smooth muscle fibers, improve blood flow to the joint and relieve spasms.
What other methods of treating coxarthrosis are there, how to treat them? Kinesiology tape is used. Kinesiology taping has long been used in sports medicine. Adhesive tape is a special type of cotton, hypoallergenic and elastic plaster. If it is glued to the skin, then:
- Microcirculation processes are intensified, lymph flows and a drainage effect is created.
- Muscle function is normalized.
- The pain lessens or disappears completely.
- The articular surface or ligament is carefully fixed.
Kinesio Taping has the following advantages:
- The effect lasts as long as the application is applied.
- Performance increases with physical activity.
- Causes no discomfort.
- The composition does not contain any drugs.
How should the type of hip joint be treated, how to apply? Hair interferes with taping, so the skin is cleaned and disinfected. 4 tapes are taken, the length of the strips is 15-20 cm and they are attached to the patient, who is in a side position, so that the articular surface is on the upper side, and the lower limb should be bent the knee.
The scheme is simple:
- Tape bottoms (about 4 cm on both sides) are glued, but not stretched, the main part is stretched as much as possible.
- The first strip is applied in a vertical position so that the middle zone of the tape is on the affected joint.
- Another strip is glued perpendicular to the previous one and stretched as much as possible.
- The next 2 bands are attached diagonally and stretched as much as possible.
- After application, the tape is rubbed so that it is better fixed.
Surgical methods are performed at the extreme stage of the pathological process, when the joint is non-functional.
The joint is usually provided with prosthetics, the following manipulations are performed:
- The head of the femur is cut off, a pin is inserted into it. A titanium analog of the femoral head is attached to it.
- Parts of the pelvis are removed in segments, and a special polymer bed is attached to connect to the artificial head.
If the operation was successful, the joint was properly cared for, then it can serve for about two decades.
For the prevention of coxarthrosis of the hip joint type, the causes of the pathological process should be prevented and eliminated in a timely manner. The prevention of coxarthrosis lies in the fact that the pathology should be diagnosed in a timely manner. To prevent coxarthrosis changes, the patient should:
- To swim.
- perform physical therapy.
- Organize skiing with poles.
- Sometimes treated in sanatoriums.
- Learn to massage yourself.
- Apply special massage techniques.
- control body weight.
- Regularly take chondroprotective agents.
- Don't get cold.
- avoid injuries.
- You should eat a balanced diet so that vitamins are present in the diet in the required amount, exclude too fatty, salty foods, and also contain a lot of preservatives. You should eat lean fish, meat, dairy products, buckwheat, lentils, natural vegetables and fruits. Collagen protein is needed, which is contained in meat jelly, fish jelly, fruit jelly. Sugar is replaced with honey.
When a person is physically active, therapeutic measures bring the maximum result:
- The joint functions normally.
- Muscle tissue is strengthened.
- The blood circulation in the joint structures and the surrounding area is improved.
- Lower back pain will go away.
- There will be no complications.
It is worth remembering that timely diagnostic measures allow you to start treatment earlier, and the progression of pathology will stop. There will be no complications. Therefore, it is better not to delay treatment, and if symptoms appear, it is better to consult a doctor immediately.